Tuesday, December 1, 2009

In sports photography, what shutter speed is good for indoor pro basketball, using 800 iso?

There's no set in stone answer to this. Basically, set it as fast as you can possibly can without underexposing the picture. Set your aperture to be wide open, and increase your shutter speed until your light meter shows perfect exposure or slightly underexposed. You can usually correct for slight underexposure in post-processing, especially if you shoot in RAW, and it will allow you to make the shutter speed slightly faster. If the arena is brightly lit, it shouldn't be a big problem; if it's dim, you'll have problems. This is why pro sports photographers pay big bucks for fast telephoto lenses. You can rent one from a local camera shop if this is a one-time gig.



In sports photography, what shutter speed is good for indoor pro basketball, using 800 iso?sports tickets





I would strive for at least 1/200 (even though you should really be going faster) witha f/2.8 lens. I usually get only 1/80 in a normal high school gym with 1600 ISO with f/2.8



In sports photography, what shutter speed is good for indoor pro basketball, using 800 iso?concert tickets ,nba teams



do what even says, then visit his web site and tell him what his work is like



i think its top - topish
First: the shutter speed that will be good for indoor basketball will be the same regardless of ISO. The question is what ISO you will have to use at a given aperture to get the shutter speed you need. I would suggest that you'll need to be pushing 1600 to get the shutter speed that it will take to stop fast moving pro athletes, unless you've got some very fast glass (IE 200mm f/1.8)



You'll probably need to shoot at minimum 1/200th to stop motion. I'd go higher if you have fast enough glass to support it, and the light will allow.



EDIT: Also realize that pros are often using multiple strobes tripped wireless-ly to shoot pro hoops.
When I shoot NBA %26amp; WNBA games, I set my camera to ISO 1600 and shoot with my lenses wide open. If I had a f/2.8 lens in my arsenal, then I could drop down to ISO 800.



The basic rule of thumb is to shoot no slower than the focal length of your lens. That means, with my 75-300mm, I have to stay at 1/250 or above. When I switch camera bodies and use an 18-70mm, then I still stay at 1/250.



Anything slower usually results in a well exposed blur.



You CAN switch to a slower speed, dependent on how steady you are, for timeouts and freethrows. I've gotten some great closeups during freethrows, slowing down the shutterspeed so I could stop down and increase depth of field.



I tried using ISO 800 before, but there too many opportunities lost in a fast moving game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ltd